Thursday, October 13, 2011

Blister Blues

Lonesome landscape. On the way to Santo Domingo de Calzada.

It had to happen sooner or later.

I´m halfway done with the Camino de Santiago, about 250 miles complete, currently in the small city of Sahagún, not far from León--in a car driver´s terms that is, not so much a walker´s. And I´m doubting whether I want to go on.

I´ve got a bazillion blisters. The October weather in Spain has been hotter than average. I´ve been crossing the dull, dry Meseta and plains for days now. And I no longer see most of the original friends I made in my first week, who stopped earlier on or got days ahead of me. I´ve been walking the past few days entirely alone, from the time I step out of the albergue in the morning to the time I make it to another one farther on down the Camino at day´s end. The magic seems gone. I don´t feel I have the inner resources to conjure any up on my own.

I´ll be making a decision to continue or return to Ireland, and then the U.S., within the next day. Perhaps I can save the second half of the Camino for another time. Or perhaps I just need to let the blisters heal and open myself up more to the newer (and fewer in number) pilgrims passing me by. Perhaps I need to take an extra day and commit more to putting thoughts down on this blog, describing some of the friends I made and the sights I´ve seen--perhaps that will remind me why I´m doing this and give me the encouragement to go on. We´ll see, amigos...

Lonesome travelin'. Soon after entering Castilla y Leon region.

Beginning of the Meseta.

View from Alto Mostelares (after Castrojeriz) of the way ahead.

Morning leaving Villalcazar.

17 km stretch of nothing between Carrion de los Condes and Calzadilla.

7 comments:

  1. Your bravery is steadfast!
    May you come to find those answers for yourself whether that be returning to the trail or giving your feet the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today we read in our newspaper about 103 year old Harold Weary just having a successful hip replacement surgery because he wants to be able to continue doing his daily half mile trek around town. Incredible! Both you and good old Harold are giving new meaning to the art of walking. He is slow, but steady. You are both inspirations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there, Rene.

    You're in an inspiration to us all!

    For what it's worth, I would suggest continuing and completing your pilgrimage. In the months and years to come, I suspect that you would never regret completing the journey - even though the road is very difficult and lonely right now, but that you may someday regret not having completed it, if you were to stop. As you said, take a few days to rest up - after all, tomorrow will be a better day :-)

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOU ARE A INSPIRATION TO ME, I THINK YOU SHOULD TAKE A FULL DAY AND NIGHT AND REST..THINK ABOUT WHY YOU STARTED THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE AND WHAT YOU THOUGHT**WHEN YOU FIND THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTIONS YOU WILL GET THE MAGIC BACK**TAKE A COUPLE OF DAYS AND START YOUR JOURNEY TO THE END**CUZ YOU ARE A VERY STRONG WOMAN AND I KNOW YOU WILL BE ABLE TO MAKE IT ********

    ReplyDelete
  5. René,

    You've been in our hearts and prayers ever since you started on this journey. If you can forge ahead, then do it. Although it might seem an impossible task right now, you won't ever regret it. But no matter what you decide to do at this juncture, you've accomplished so much already and we cannot wait to hear about your incredible adventures. Happy birthday to an amazing woman!

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, Rene!

    Consider moleskins or Doctor Scholl's paraphernalia as a self-inflicted birthday present! :-)

    Brian

    ReplyDelete