Monday, November 14, 2011

Camino Sunrises

Good morning, America, how are ya?


Sunrise on the Camino de Santiago

As I write this it's very early morning in the United States. How early? So early you probably aren't awake yet. (Or you have yet to go to bed from the night before--you party animal, you.) The only reason I'm up is because I just arrived back home yesterday afternoon, and I haven't yet adapted to the time difference between the U.S. and Europe. So I'm wide awake, up and at this long-neglected blog, letting everyone know my Camino is officially over--physically speaking at least.

Since my last post announcing my reaching Santiago de Compostela, I spent a week hanging around Santiago while waiting for a walking friend to arrive from Ireland, walked on to Finisterre (the "ends of the earth," the westernmost point on the European continent) with my walking friend, finally left Santiago and Spain, and made a brief visit to Ireland before arriving home, in Chicago, on a windy but unseasonably warm Sunday afternoon.

Now I'm here waiting for my first American sunrise since leaving home more than 2 months ago. I thought I'd welcome the awakening of the sun here, in Illinois, with some memories of all the sunrises I saw on the Camino. With 39 walking days on the Camino, that means I saw a great many sunrises. Seeing the sun rise is something you can't avoid on the Camino, since early awakenings, head starts, and walking in the light of the coming dawn (and maybe even the waning moon) are among the quintessential Camino pilgrim experiences. Here are some of the loveliest among 39 very lovely sunrises:

My first Camino sunrise--shortly after leaving St. Jean Pied-de-Port in France.

First day, after St. Jean Pied-de-Port

Second Camino sunrise, in the Pyrenees after Orisson, on way to Roncesvalles. Morning clouds making islands of the mountain tops.

Sunrise over Eunate, a little ways off the official Camino.

Me, morning after staying at Eunate church.
My friend Aileen walking in the morning light, away from Eunate, back to the Camino. Following the yellow Camino arrow and the golden sun rays.

My friend Belinda greets the dawn,

Me and Belinda walking in the dawn light, fun haystacks ahead.

Sunrise aways from Torres del Rio

Sun rising over a plaza in Santo Domingo de la Calzada

Early morning just outside Tosantos, chapel in mountainside visible

Sunrise outside of Tosantos

There was no visible sun the day I walked into Burgos, but there was this hardy sunflower. Just as good.

Sunrise...or moonset? The hospitalero at Villalcazar de Sirga made us leave the albergue so early I walked in waning moonlight rather than rising sunlight.

Sunrise after Rabanal del Camino, approaching El Acebo

Sunrise in El Acebo
Sunrise on way to Villafranca del Bierzo

Little house and trees welcoming the sun.

Where do you find the sun on a rainy morning in Galicia? In a puddle is where.

Sunrise over Cee, on the way to Finisterre.

Swinging in the dawn in Cee

Sun trying to wake up in Finisterre. Perhaps he runs out of energy at the "ends of the earth."
More posts to come on the Camino--something like "My Top 10 Camino Memories." OK, maybe a little less cheesy than that. More pics too and I'll be adding some photos to my past posts. Until then, hello sunshine and happy day!!

1 comment: