Saturday, June 20, 2015

Disorderly Poems

One for the poetry fiends...The summer 2015 issue of The Writing Disorder went live today and features three new poems of mine. You can check out the whole issue here and my poems here. The issue offers visual art as well as written works, and I recommend checking out this month's art features by James Lipnickas and Daniele Serra--they are both really great.

My poems in this issue are titled "Bioluminescent Bay," "Aisling," and "Coconut." I have to thank The Writing Disorder's ed-in-chief, C.E. Lukather, and poetry editor, Juliana Woodhead, for accepting and publishing these poems and Woodhead in particular for her kind comments upon acceptance. I'm not sure if it's gauche for me to share her comments here, but since no editor has ever bothered to add such nice things at length about my work before--and for all I know no editor ever will again--I decided to include Woodhead's comments in this post. Take your validation whenever and wherever you can get it--that's my motto. Woodhead said my poems "have a wonderful air of surrealism (or perhaps magic realism is more accurate) imparting a sense of the extraordinary strangeness of the ordinary - each of the poems like a meditation on the small wonders of the world."

So what are you waiting for? Go read 'em!

For the curious, these poems were inspired by a blend of the real and the imaginary, in the world and in my personal experience. "Bioluminescent Bay" was written about a real place, a real series of glowing bays, in Puerto Rico, one of which I visited earlier this year. But I actually wrote the poem before visiting one of the bays, as an experiment to see how accurately and imaginatively I could describe a real place before setting eyes on it. After visiting one of the bioluminescent bays (I hit the one in Fajardo, on a nighttime kayaking trip), I revisited the poem to see whether what I imagined had any basis in reality--or maybe whether what I experienced in real life had any basis in the imagination. All I can say is, kayaking the real bioluminescent bay at night with a bunch of strangers is as surreal and lovely and absurd an experience as you're likely to get outside of a dream or a poem.

That's me on the lower left, looking a bit wired, while kayaking in the bioluminescent lagoon at Fajardo in Puerto Rico. The other ladies in this pic were all from the U.S. as well, but I can't remember which states and I never even got any of their names.
"Aisling," however, is pure dream. The poem is based on a very vivid dream I had not long ago that seemed straight out of an old Irish epic like The Cattle Raid of Cooley but with a setting in the dunelands along Lake Michigan close to where I'm from. So there's the imaginative and the real coming together again, I guess. I remember waking up feeling like everything about the dream had been both very foreign and very familiar to me. Aisling is an Irish word that means vision or dream, and is also the name of an old poetic form in Irish literature that usually featured the poet/speaker recounting a visionary encounter with a very old or a very beautiful and young woman who was understood to represent Ireland. For my poem, the title refers to the simple "dream" definition of the word.

"Coconut" is an attempt to marry emotion with a scent. Maybe all I got out of that coupling was another dream of a scene.

Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoy the latest poems.

No comments:

Post a Comment