Sunday, August 30, 2015

Last Post

This is my last post on this blog. This post will be viewable for one week, after which I will be shutting down this blog for good.

I'm shutting down my blog because it's outlasted its original purpose, and I don't think any purposes I've come up with for it since are coming together well. I started this blog 4 years ago at a time when I was traveling a lot and trying to get a small travel business going. I thought the blog would be a good way to promote my business and website and share some of my own travel experiences and advice. But a little less than 2 years ago, I closed down my business because I wasn't making any money with it and didn't want to drive myself into debt. I kept this blog going though since I was starting to submit and publish more of my writing, and the blog served as a way to promote any new stuff I had published. In the meantime, I tried to stay true to the original "wayfaring" theme by still posting the occasional travel update with pics or what-have-you from places I'd been recently or not-so-recently.

Well, 4 years on, I don't travel so much anymore, and there's no business to justify even writing much about travel anyway. More and more I find myself posting stuff just to post stuff or trying to think of what on earth I can post just to post something. And the effort has gotten pretty boring, to be honest. I share updates when I get something published, but I don't think that really happens enough to justify the blog. (I actually created a Wordpress site for listing my recent published credits--and that, I feel, is enough for anyone who wants to keep up with what I've been writing lately or google my writing credentials.) Most important, my writing and work goals have changed rather significantly since this blog began. And now I'd like to devote more attention to pursuing those new goals and ideas.

From the beginning, there's also always been the issue of whether this blog was successfully engaging with anyone, with any readers out there. To this day, I honestly don't even know if it is or ever has. The blog still gets hits, but whether these are all bots or strangers, fans, friends, former friends and enemies, I have no idea. With little definite engagement or feedback to go on, it's another reason keeping the blog can get pretty boring and pointless after awhile. There's little incentive to improve or challenge yourself.

For those of you who have read any of this blog's posts at any time, and even commented or contacted me or shared a post, I really appreciate your attention and interest. Sincerely. As I mentioned above, I do have a Wordpress site now where you can check and see if I ever get something written and published again. I also will be keeping the Facebook page for Writing and Wayfaring up (though I've felt a lot of ambivalence about staying on social media as well over the years), so you can follow that for updates too. Again, this post will stay up one week and then kaput. If there's any posts you've been meaning to read or share, now's the time to do that.

Because I can't think of any good way to say so long, here's something irrelevant:

No comments:

Post a Comment